[Dovecot] v1.2 development tree started

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 20 15:16:25 EEST 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 3:02 PM, Ed W wrote:

> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> This one is the last major unimplemented v1.2 feature.
>

> Can I make a very weak suggestion to look at that ZLIB compression
> extension I think you mentioned in the past?

It would have to be done by proxying in imap-login similar to how SSL
connections are handled. But aren't you using SSL already, and why
not? Using that would give compression for free. Although I haven't
really looked at if it's already automatically enabled or if I or
clients should do something special..

> Anyway, just a thought - I'm assuming that the probable
> implementation is going to be fairly simple.  I would think that
> zlib and/or lzo would be good compressors if there is a choice of
> implementations?  Certainly LZO would be a good choice for faster
> 100mbit connections

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4978.txt specifies DEFLATE format that can
be implemented using zlib.