[Dovecot] Cygwin and dovecot-auth problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jun 21 15:37:58 EEST 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 14:27 +0200, Blacktate wrote:
> 21/06/2008 3.57 - Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 00:45 +0000, TBlack wrote:
> >> Warning: fd limit 256 is lower than what Dovecot can use under full
> >> load (more than 640). Either grow the limit or change
> >> login_max_processes_count and max_mail_processes settings Warning:
> >> Last died with error (see error log for more information): Auth
> >> process died too early - shutting down
> >
> > Look at the logs for the exact reason why auth process died.
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging
>
> The error log, each time I try to start Dovecot from a command line, has
> these two lines appended:
>
> dovecot: Jun 21 12:16:23 Error: Socket already exists:
> /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/dict-server
> dovecot: Jun 21 12:16:24 Fatal: Auth process died too early - shutting down

If you delete the dict-server socket and start Dovecot again, does it
then show anything else except the "Auth process died" message?

> Following the december 2007 thread between you and Ronny:
>
> http://dovecot.markmail.org/search/?q=cygwin+2nd
>
> ...I tried to start dovecot via inetd rather than command line, and now
> I seem to be stuck at exactly the same point. Dovecot starts, but when I
> telnet localhost 143 I see:
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Fatal: EOF while reading environment from master
> Connection closed by foreign host.

I think these are the exact same problems. Dovecot master dies and
imap-login sees that.

> By the way, if I restart inetd and try to telnet again I get this (just
> like Ronny):
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Fatal: write_full(master_fd) failed: Transport endpoint is not connected
> Connection closed by foreign host.

I guess it doesn't figure out that master has died and doesn't try to
restart it.

> Now, was there anything to try at this point? The old thread just
> stopped here.. :-(

It sounds like dovecot-auth process dies with exit status 0. See if it
logs anything with the attached patch.