[Dovecot] 1 week after full migration to 1.1v

Raphael Bittencourt S. Costa raphaelbscosta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:11:38 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 11:44 +0100, Ed W wrote:

> Raphael Bittencourt S. Costa wrote:
> > Ehlo all,
> >
> > I've been working on a migration of about 240K users from one server
> > with qmail, courier imap, maildrop and ldap to postfix, dovecot, lda
> > +sieve. Before the migration the server and the storage were always on
> > high load.
> >

> It almost doesn't seem enough of a drop...!

Really? The load of the qmail server were always on 120, but if
something happens, like suddenly increase of mail deliver the server
load jumps to 800. With postfix+dovecot the highest load I got was 35.

>  Have you benchmarked the
> various apps a little?

No, only dovecotxCourier.

>   Postfix syncs disks like crazy to prevent mail
> loss in case of disaster

Postfix queue is on local disk, and iostat only shows 6% of
utilization.

>  - can I assume you have given some thought to
> tuning your file system which handles the spool files?

The server uses xfs for maildir partition and so on, it uses
noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier,logbufs=8.