[Dovecot] 1 week after full migration to 1.1v

Raphael Bittencourt S. Costa raphaelbscosta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 18:03:31 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 15:20 +0100, Ed W wrote:

> Hi
>
> Sounds like you know what you are doing!

No, sounds like I'm thinking what I'm doing. :-D I really need more
information to get more from the structure.

> >>  - can I assume you have given some thought to
> >> tuning your file system which handles the spool files?
> >>

> > The server uses xfs for maildir partition and so on, it uses
> > noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier,logbufs=8.
>

> I guess you have read around a little on XFS + maildir?  There was some
> discussion a while back that showed it could sometimes get a little slow
> without some tweaking - I think the logbugs param you used was mentioned
> as the solution?

That's right.

>   Since you are IO constrainted did you try some
> benchmarks on other filesystems?

No. I used reiserfs before and I had many problems with it. The guy that
was in charge before me tried xfs and showed me lots of good things
about xfs. So, I decided to try it too. And backup is a problem here, so
an security filesystem is very important for not losing mail.