[Dovecot] 1.1 and the zlib plugin

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Tue Jun 24 21:59:38 EEST 2008

Hello,

I've been playing around with using namespaces to change the way
messages are stored. My idea was to use mbox for archival stuff, like
this:

     namespace private {
         separator = .
         hidden = no
         inbox = yes
         prefox =
         location = maildir:%h/Maildir
     }
     namespace private {
         separator = .
         hidden = no
         prefix = "INBOX.Archive."
         location = mbox:%h/Maildir/Archive
     }

This works *GREAT*, and I'm really pleased with it. However, it
occurred to me that for deeply frozen archives, it might be nice to
gzip them. Conveniently, there's the zlib plugin. From what I could
tell from the documentation, the compressed mbox names must end in
".gz", so I thought I could simply go into ~/Maildir/Archive and gzip
everything. But when I did that, Dovecot started behaving strangely.

First of all, the result of LIST shows the files like this:

     * LIST (\NoInferiors \Marked) "." "INBOX.Archive.Friends.gz"

Which is obviously wrong. When I try to SELECT it, I get this:

     ? SELECT "INBOX.Archive.Friends.gz"
     ? NO Mailbox doesn't exist: Friends/gz

Which seems to indicate that Dovecot is treating the dot in the
extension as the separator (understandably), and failing. However, if
I leave off the extension, I get this:

     ? SELECT "INBOX.Archive.Friends"
     ? NO Mailbox doesn't exist: Friends

Which seems to indicate that Dovecot isn't translating "Friends" into
"Friends.gz" for some reason.

Then I remembered that in the ChangeLog, back in May, the zlib plugin
was changed to look for the zlib header rather than the Z flag. I
assume that was for using it with Maildirs, but I figured it was worth
a shot. So I renamed the Friends.gz file to remove the extension. But
that just gives me an error message:

     ? SELECT "INBOX.Archive.Friends"
     ? NO Mailbox isn't a valid mbox file

It seems like loading the zlib plugin either doesn't have any effect,
or I'm not doing it right. I have it in the config file along with
other plugins that work just fine:

     mail_plugins = fts fts_squat zlib

And when I check that with dovecot -p, it shows up:

     mail_plugins: fts fts_squat zlib

There's no entry in the plugin {} section of the config file for the
zlib plugin... but I assume that none is necessary.

Am I doing something wrong?

~Kyle
--
No people can be great who have ceased to be virtuous.
-- Samuel Johnson, on the behavior of the British colonists in America