[Dovecot] Upgrade to 1.1 maildir & shared folders problems

sami at medusa.tutka.fi sami at medusa.tutka.fi
Mon Jun 30 11:31:43 EEST 2008

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 10:50 +0300, sami at medusa.tutka.fi wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We recently upgraded to Dovecot 1.1 from 1.0.5 and we are having few
> > issues:
> >
> > 1) Maildir's are not created anymore for new users if they dont excits,
> > the directories where created before, is this a configuration issue?
>
> I did change the code so that the maildir creation is delayed until it's
> really needed. But I don't know of any bugs in this, and I can't
> reproduce your problem. Could you show the error messages from the log
> file you get when a new user tries to access the mailbox?

Hello,

Telnet:
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK ready.
AUTH LOGIN testi33 testi33
AUTH OK Logged in.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Log:
Jun 30 11:14:47 [dovecot] imap-login: Login: user=<testi33>, method=PLAIN,
rip=212.116.32.210, lip=212.116.32.130
Jun 30 11:14:47 [dovecot] child 23578 (imap) killed with signal 11

Not much to go on here, i remember running in to this same problem in some
early 1.0 rc's, but if i remember correctly it just was fixed in a later
release and started working. Any ideas how to proceed on this one? i could
setup a test enviroment and run strace if needed?

> > 2) Cannot subscribe to shared folders, if currently subscribed they work
> > fine but cannot re-subscribe, also i noticed that the control directory
> > for the namespace is not created anymore, before it was, any ideas?
>
> Again the control directory creation is delayed until it's needed. So
> that might not be the actual problem. Are there anything in error logs
> when this happens?
>
> Also could you try manually so you can see what exactly Dovecot replies
> to the subscribe commands? Try something like:
>
> telnet localhost 143
> a login username password
> b unsubscribe shared/some-mailbox
> c subscribe shared/some-mailbox
>
> What are the replies?

if i list the mail boxes it does not show the folders under shared:

* LIST (\Noselect \HasNoChildren) "/" "shared"
. OK List completed.

The subscribe and unsubscribe seems to be working:

C unsubscribe shared/shared-folder
C OK Unsubscribe completed.
C subscribe shared/shared-folder
C OK Subscribe completed.

I get this in the logs:

Jun 30 11:17:44 [dovecot] imap-login: Login: user=<username>,
method=PLAIN,
rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
Jun 30 11:19:07 [dovecot] IMAP(username):
fchown(/var/mail/jaetut/temp.valas.17956.7b8393cabde89cbd) failed:
Operation not permitted
Jun 30 11:19:07 [dovecot] IMAP(username): dovecot-acl-list creation failed:
safe_mkstemp(/var/mail/jaetut/temp.valas.17956.7b8393cabde89cbd) failed:
Operation not permitted

It seems to be the problem is with listing the folders? as if im
subscribed to the folders they work fine, but can not see the folders
again in imap? The /var/mail/jaetut folder has write permission to
everyone. any ideas?

//sami