[Dovecot] Effects of migration

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Wed Mar 5 18:23:08 EET 2008

So, to follow up to my previous thread, we just successfully migrated our
NFS-based mail cluster from qmail pop, courier imap, and bincimap to
dovecot 1.1rc1.

Overall the transition was very smooth, the only unexpected adjustment was
having to implement ntpd on each box, rather than doing an hourly ntpdate
against our local ntpd server, to prevent dovecot from crashing itself
from too much drift.

The impact has been severe! Even with NFS-stored indexes, our netapp is
seeing 1/6th of the NFS ops per second, and its CPU utilization is now at
1/3rd previous levels.

The only user comment thus far was thanking us for bringing IMAP folders
out from under INBOX.

Dovecot is truly excellent. In my book, Timo joins Wietse Venema and Marc
Martinec to form the backbone of the premiere open source mail solution.

For now, praise will have to suffice. I do, however, maintain a little IOU
list that I intend to fulfill at some point in the future, and Timo is now
high on the list.

Thanks again!
Andy

---