[Dovecot] Effects of migration

Andy Dills andy at xecu.net
Thu Mar 6 06:02:17 EET 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 11:23 -0500, Andy Dills wrote:
>
> > The impact has been severe! Even with NFS-stored indexes, our netapp is
> > seeing 1/6th of the NFS ops per second, and its CPU utilization is now at
> > 1/3rd previous levels.
>
> Have you thought about enabling Squat indexes? I'd like to know how much
> it would affect I/O and CPU usage in larger installations. CPU grows
> (maybe a lot) but searches should be faster and use very little I/O as a
> result.

By CPU, do you mean local server (nfs client) CPU or netapp CPU (nfs
server)?

I'm guessing the former...for what it's worth, for those who have yet to
have the pleasure of using a Netapp, the CPU utilization is basically your
ultimate barometer of utilization with netapps. As long as you don't start
hitting 90% CPU consistently, they will provide better throughput than
local SCSI disks. The CPU tops out well before the I/O, a nice change of
pace.

Local CPU is of little concern typically, as mail serving (filtering is
handled elsewhere) is almost purely I/O.

However, I'm not sure how much value I would place on optimizing searches
at this point...do users really do much of that? It seems to be
potentially valuable yet underutilized.

Do you have some links so I can educate myself more about squat indexes?

Andy

---
Andy Dills
Xecunet, Inc.