[Dovecot] Not using "." as separator?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Mar 7 01:42:00 EET 2008

On 2008-03-06, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> 1. If "maildirfolder" file doesn't exist, update maildirsize file
> 2. If "maildirfolder" file does exists, update ../maildirsize
>
>> It all works, but having to use IMAP to access files that are
>> right there in ~/Mail bugs me. :)
>
> I think it's better to access everything via IMAP whenever
> possible, because then you gain from Dovecot's indexing and
> caching. It should work a lot faster than if your MUA reads
> and parses everything over and over again.

My usual MUA (mutt) manages its own header cache database, and
it's quite fast with local files.  What slows things down when
using IMAP is the TLS startup and authentication.  Disabling
TSL for localhost would probably help...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Four thousand
                                  at               different MAGNATES, MOGULS