[Dovecot] Sorting a folder (by THREAD) takes a long time

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Fri Mar 7 09:32:57 EET 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> My email workflow with Dovecot is that mail gets delivered to INBOX,
> where I handle it and then move it into a folder called archive.
>
> I have alpine set to use the Default sort of "THREAD" of a folder.
> After moving a (few) mail(s) from INBOX to archive, archive takes a long
> time (10-50s) to load while alpine tells me:
>
>                         [Sorting "archive"  ... ]
>
> (I can do the IMAP traces, but I figure alpine's terminology is going to
> be so similar to IMAP terminology that it should be straightforward
> enough for Timo to know what I'm talking about.)

I'd do the traces if I were you. Maybe it's something to do with "Thread
Sorts By Arrival" or similar Alpine threading quirks. There was also
traffic a couple months ago about threading scaling non-linearly in Alpine
depending on that setting. I assume you're running a recent snapshot, but
I don't recall whether that issue was resolved.

Best,
Ben