[Dovecot] Wrong message information reported shortly after delivery

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 7 10:04:00 EET 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 9:36 AM, Ron Avriel wrote:

>> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 08:21 -0800, Ron Avriel wrote:
>>> If an IMAP fetch is issued some "short" time after a message was
>>> delivered
>>> with dovecot deliver then dovecot reports wrong (zero) values
>>> for that new message. Afterward, it reports the information OK.
>>
>> What OS/filesystem do you use? I don't see how this is possible. The
>> mails are first written to tmp/ directory and then they're atomically
>> rename()d to the new/ or cur/ directory.
>>
>> I also tested this myself, rapidly sending the same FETCH command
>> 1000
>> times/sec while delivering 40MB mails to the maildir. The size was
>> always correct.
>

> I'm using standard out of the box Redhat EL 4 with an ext3 filesystem.
> Since I can reproduce it easily on different RHEL4 machines, tell me
> what additional information you'd like.

Can you reproduce it without your IMAP client? For example using
imaptest (http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest) as the client and running:

./imaptest logout=0 - fetch=100 user=testuser pass=testpass
host=imap.host.org

Or if you can give me access to some server where you can instruct me
how to reproduce it, that would work too.