[Dovecot] Cingular/ATT killing my IMAP/POP connections with bad TCP FIN packets?

Peter Tripp peter at paradox.psych.columbia.edu
Tue Mar 11 02:12:37 EET 2008

Hello all,

I've got an issue I'm almost positive is not related to Dovecot, but was
wondering whether anyone else has had similar problems or could
duplicate my results.  Please accept my apologies if this is considered
off-topic or this issue is actually just a symptom of my own ignorance.
Also, sorry for how long this email got, I knew I wouldn't be able to
explain my issue in a paragraph.

I'm having issues connecting to my dovecot mail server, running with SSL
under Solaris while connected via Cingular/ATT wireless, specifically
via the wap.cingular access point.  This server is not firewall, either
via software or hardware and sits on a fully routable internet IP
address.  A few days after we made the transition from UW-IMAP to
Dovecot, I could no longer connect from my Nokia E61i to our server
(IMAP w/ SSL, port 993).  Until today, I just assumed I did something to
anger the Nokia gods and just did without mobile email.

Today, someone walked in with an iPhone and could only connect to our
server via wifi connections, not over Cingular/ATT's EDGE network.  When
I looked into it, I saw the same behavior with my E61i which also has wifi.

Here's where it gets weird.  I can connect to other IMAP servers
(imap.gmail.com, mail.columbia.edu) but not to our departmental mail
server running dovcot (paradox.psych.columbia.edu).  All three are on
port 993 using IMAP with SSL.  Ping, SSH and web traffic don't have any
difficulty getting through, but IMAP/POP seems to be prematurely
disconnected.  So I did a little digging, by tethering my Macbook with
Thunderbird through my phone I saw the following traffic in Wireshark
between me and my server (Paradox):

Me: SYN
Paradox: SYN, ACK
Me: ACK
Me: Client Hello
Paradox: ACK
Paradox: FIN, ACK
Me: ACK
Paradox: FIN, ACK
Me: ACK
-dead-

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but it looks likely that ATT
is sending a FIN which kills the connection before my mail client can
even get out of the gate.  I thought it might be related to SSL so I
setup a inetd to launch a secondary dovecot process listening on port
997 without encryption.  I see the same behavior, without the "Client
Hello" above.  I've also run it on other ports and seen the same
behavior.  Needless to say, both SSL/noSSL work without issue from local
and a variety of remote networks, except ATT.  Tomorrow I'll do some
sniffing to confirm that Cingular is sending a fake TCP FIN packet, but
I've got to wait till the network folks set me up a port in mirror mode.

I did not paste the full Wireshark output as it has long lines which
would look hella ugly in email, so here it is nicely formatted:
http://duckies.org/~peter/damncingular.txt

Has anyone else seen similar behavior or know what might be causing
this? It looks like ATT/Cingular is killing the connection before it
really ever even gets started, but I have no idea why.  I've spent a
couple hours on the phone with them and not been able to contact anyone
who might know why this just started happening when it had been working
before.

Can anyone replicate the same behavior, you shouldn't need an un/pw as
it doesn't get that far, just need an ATT customer with tethering setup
to capture an attempt at connecting to the server
(paradox.psych.columbia.edu).

Ideas? I'm totally stumped, but it sounds a lot like the sort of thing
Comcast was doing to Bittorrent for their users, except they were
injecting RST instead of FIN.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to offer me.
--Peter