[Dovecot] 1.0.13: mail_extra_groups alternative syntax?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 11 03:14:13 EET 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 13:02 -0300, Dâniel Fraga wrote:
> "Warning: mail_extra_groups setting was often used insecurely so it is
> now deprecated, use mail_access_groups or mail_privileged_group instead"
>
> 	I use the following:
>
> mail_extra_groups = mail nogroup
>
> 	Because I have the real and virtual accounts.
>
> 	What's the correct way to replace the above line? It seems that
> mail_privileged_group only accepts one group, but I need two.
>
> 	Any suggestion? Thank you!

It depends on what you use the "mail" and "nogroup" for. The
mail_privileged_group is used for creating dotlocks to directories where
you normally don't have write access (/var/mail). mail_access_groups
gives the process full access to the group, allowing the user to
read/write to all files/dirs readable/writable by that group.