[Dovecot] IMAP storage - mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:mbox:~/mail/

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Mar 11 18:28:22 EET 2008

on 3-10-2008 6:09 PM Tim Alberts spake the following:
> I'm moving to IMAP and trying to understand all the details of where to
> save email.  The system is CentOS running sendmail - procmail which
> delivers as:
>
> DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
>
> I'm trying also to use Usermin as the webmail client.  I can get mail to
> deliver to $HOME/Maildir/ and I can get clients (thunderbird outlook
> etc) to view them.  However Usermin seems stuck with saving 'Drafts'
> 'Sent' and 'Trash' in $HOME/mail/ as mbox and Dovecot won't find them
> even when I use the setting:
>
> maildir:~/Maildir:mbox:~/mail/
>
> I don't know what exact question to ask to I'll just ask for any
> thoughts on this?
>
> Second question, different topic.  Are there problems with running POP3
> and IMAP?  I've always run POP3 and I'm thinking to move to IMAP for
> some clients so the Usermin webmail will be better 'synchronized' with
> the users inbox.

Do you have usermin set to access mail by IMAP or the default of accessing the
mail directly on the filesystem?

On your second question, I run bothPOP3 and IMAP on the server. Some people
with light traffic just want to get the mail to their PC, and other users want
IMAP so they can work with their mail from multiple locations and computers.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and