[Dovecot] Allowing tilde at start of mailbox names [listescape-plugin.c]

pod pod at herald.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 12 00:17:35 EET 2008

    AM> I have been using it for a few weeks and it has been working well,
    AM> but yesterday I noticed it also seems to be escaping the \
    AM> (backslash) character in folder names.

listescape has to escape '\' so that applications of decode-encode and
encode-decode are idempotent.  If it did not do this a client that asked,
for example, to create a folder called a\2eb (i.e. issues CREATE "a\2eb")
would be shown the folder as a.b by dovecot in a subsequent folder
listing.

    AM> This wouldn't be a problem except it breaks operation of folders
    AM> that already had a \ in the name before the plugin was loaded.
    AM> This isn't a huge problem for us but I want to figure out if I
    AM> should special case migration of folder names containing a \ to be
    AM> the new internal representation \5c or if the plugin should just
    AM> deal with normal \'s in the foldernames properly.

Yes, I think you need to rename folders that contained a '\' in the name
before you started using listescape, but clearly you should not rename any
folders that have subsequently been created by the listescape plugin that
contain a '\'.