[Dovecot] deliver fails - passdb doesn't support lookups?

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Wed Mar 12 20:03:38 EET 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to get `deliver` (the LDA) to function properly. I can get
it to work without doing a user lookup, but for my own sense of
sanity, I want to know what I'm doing wrong getting user lookups
working. (I'm using dovecot 1.0.10).

Here's what I have in the "auth default" section:

     auth default {
         mechanisms = plain login
         passdb ldap {
             args= /var/lib/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
         }
         userdb static {
             args = uid=3728 gid=3728 home=/domains/%Ld/%Ln
         }
         user = vpopmail
         socket listen {
             master {
                 path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
                 mode = 0600
                 user = vpopmail
                 group = vchkpw
             }
             client {
                 path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
                 mode = 0660
             }
         }
     }

And yet, when I run deliver, I get no warnings, no errors, and most
especially, no email delivered. Here's how I call deliver:

     cat testemail | setuidgid vpopmail \
         /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver \
         -d testuser at example.com

I tried running deliver within strace, and here's what I found. It
opens up the authentication socket and writes:

     VERSION\t1\t0\nUSER\t1\ttestuser at example.com\tservice=deliver\n

And it gets back:

     VERSION\t1\t0\nSPID\t10917\nFAIL\t1\n"

If I understand the authentication protocol correctly, that means an
internal error occurred.

The dovecot log file reports this:

     Error: auth(default): static(testuser at example.com): passdb doesn't
     support lookups, can't verify user's existence

passdb? I thought it was the userdb that was important! What's going
on here?

~Kyle
--
Men, as an organization, are getting more women than any other group
working anywhere in the world. Wherever women are, we have men looking