[Dovecot] IMAP storage - mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:mbox:~/mail/

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Mar 12 21:20:22 EET 2008

on 3-12-2008 11:07 AM Tim Alberts spake the following:

> Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 3-10-2008 6:09 PM Tim Alberts spake the following:
>>> I'm moving to IMAP and trying to understand all the details of where
>>> to save email.  The system is CentOS running sendmail - procmail
>>> which delivers as:
>>>
>>> DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
>>>
>>> I'm trying also to use Usermin as the webmail client.  I can get mail
>>> to deliver to $HOME/Maildir/ and I can get clients (thunderbird
>>> outlook etc) to view them.  However Usermin seems stuck with saving
>>> 'Drafts' 'Sent' and 'Trash' in $HOME/mail/ as mbox and Dovecot won't
>>> find them even when I use the setting:
>>>
>>> maildir:~/Maildir:mbox:~/mail/
>>>
>>> I don't know what exact question to ask to I'll just ask for any
>>> thoughts on this?
>>>
>>> Second question, different topic.  Are there problems with running
>>> POP3 and IMAP?  I've always run POP3 and I'm thinking to move to IMAP
>>> for some clients so the Usermin webmail will be better 'synchronized'
>>> with the users inbox.
>>>
>> Do you have usermin set to access mail by IMAP or the default of
>> accessing the mail directly on the filesystem?
>>
> I did have Usermin configured to read directly.  I have changed this so
> Usermin goes through the local IMAP server (dovecot) and Usermin seems
> to be working much better with the mail.
>
> However, I have a new problem...
>
> I've changed my mail location back to mbox as follows:
>
> mail_location: mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
>
> This is working great with two exceptions.
>
> First, using mozilla thunderbird as a client, I can create folders, but
> I can't create sub-folders.  Why might this be?
How are you trying to create the folders?
With mbox you have to create the folders with a trailing slash "foldername/".
You can only have either a folder or another mbox, but you can't have both.

> Second, I have Usermin configured to save a copy of sent mail in a
> folder 'Sent'. mozilla thunderbird is doing this OK, but Usermin is
> not.  It gives me the following error on the web interface:
>

>      Failed to send mail : Failed to set IMAP flags : Error in IMAP
>      command UID: Invalid arguments.
I never thought usermin as a webmail client was very good anyway. It seemed as
more of a kludge then polished software, especially when accessing mail by IMAP.

> Checking through the logs, I don't see any other errors so I'm having
> trouble find out why?  The email does get delivered, but no copy is saved.

<snip>

>> On your second question, I run bothPOP3 and IMAP on the server. Some
>> people with light traffic just want to get the mail to their PC, and
>> other users want IMAP so they can work with their mail from multiple
>> locations and computers.
>>
> That's exactly what I'm going for.  Good to hear I can expect it to work
> fine.

I still have problems with outlook on pop3, especially if the mail is left on
the server and also accessed with another MUA like outlook express -- don't
ask -- stupid PHB decision -- but I haven't had other problems. I have
Thunderbird as my MUA of choice, but also have both outlook and outlook
express accessing my IMAP store occasionally for testing and debugging
purposes. I'm also testing several webmail softwares on the same mail store
and I haven't seen any gotchas.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and