[Dovecot] max connects per host?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 17 17:45:40 EET 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 01:47 +0300, subscriber at viliar.net.ru wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I want to manage mail server resource part (like it can CGP) and with it
> I have one question. Is any way to limit overall max simultaneous
> connections to imap/pop3 server from one(each) host, except use
> iptables/ipfw and so on? Like a patch to dovecot or, maybe, it can be
> released in future versions?

Probably in future versions.

> I know about
> mail_max_userip_connections in dovecot 1.1

It should be pretty easy to patch this code to ignore the user and just
limit IPs. You could basically just remove "user" from struct
mail_process_group and fix the code to compile. Or even easier:

static struct mail_process_group *
mail_process_group_lookup(enum process_type type, const char *user,
			  const struct ip_addr *ip)
{
	user = ""; // use the same empty user for everyone

// ...

static struct mail_process_group *
mail_process_group_create(enum process_type type, const char *user,
			  const struct ip_addr *ip)
{
	struct mail_process_group *group;

	user = ""; // use the same empty user for everyone