[Dovecot] IMAP - multi-simultaneous-user mail store

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Wed Mar 19 18:43:08 EET 2008

I'm finishing converting from POP to IMAP and I'm seeing some
potentially powerful uses, but I wonder if my ideas aren't more abuses.
I want to create 'multi-user' accounts that allow groups of users to
archive and share emails with each other.

For example, in the case of a sales department, emails from customers
may have requests for new product features.  I could create an IMAP
storage for sales that allows the sales staff to copy these requests
into a common email account.  These could then be sorted and searched by
the product development team to better determine what customers want
where product development should go.

Another example, a service/support group has some problem customers that
frequently call multiple technicians for support.  The service group can
save all correspondence with this customer in a single location so they
can better work together to provide support for this customer.

The possibilities for sharing emails in groups seem endless to me, but
it depends on if it's a 'use' or 'abuse' of the IMAP protocol, and if
Dovecot in-particular is designed to be able to handle this.

Thoughts?