[Dovecot] Using IMAP keywords instead of mailboxes for spam with dovecot-antispam

Jan Oravec jan.oravec at 6com.sk
Thu Mar 20 16:06:13 EET 2008

Hi Johannes,

> Interesting idea, but the keyword my evolution uses seems to be "Junk",
> not "$Junk".

You are right, I didn't checked it and copied "$Junk" from
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir

> There isn't really, without some work. I have just committed this patch:
> http://git.sipsolutions.net/?p=dovecot-antispam.git;a=commitdiff;h=a5941271d9ba14dd198df01a13400af557ecf6ed
> which will doesn't work yet but illustrates the concept (by debugging
> stuff to the syslog rather than calling the backend.) The new setting
> "antispam_spam_keywords" isn't documented yet but needs to be set for
> the keyword code to be invoked at all.

Great!

I guess that in need_keyword_hook case save_init/save_finish hooks will
have to check email for spams and keyword it. It is not clear how to
mark mail as spam if both need_folder_hook and need_keyword_hook are
true.

> One problem with this is that evolution doesn't sync the keywords to the
> server right away, only when you change folders. Also, it's not entirely
> obvious what the code should do when the backend fails since there
> doesn't seem to be a way to roll back the keyword change easily. Any
> comments on the code would be appreciated, and you can probably easily
> make it invoke the backend with what's there to actually test it.

If I understand how it works with folders -- if message is moved from/to
spam folder and spam learning fails, dovecot-antispam rolls back the
IMAP transaction and dovecot reports error to client? (sorry if I am
wrong, didn't read code nor IMAP specification, just assuming).

Then I think it would be correct to do exactly same with keywords and
let client handle error. I am not sure if Evolution would handle that...

Jan