[Dovecot] dovecot dead

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Mar 24 05:51:05 EET 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Allen Sim wrote:

> I am a new linux user.I jz setting up a mail server.Downloaded &
> Configured the components:CentOS,OpenLDAP,pam,dovecotMailServer,s
> endmial,squireelmail etc....

Okay.

> But wehn i want to check whether it works or not, so i open up my
> clientmail, wchi is Netscape 7.2. in Edit > Mail & Newsgroups Account
> Setting > server setting... i had put the ip address for the
> machine... but error pop out: Could not connect to mail server
> 10.XX.XX.XXX;the connection was refused. what's wrong wth it???

I don't know, let's see.

> how to check wthere the mail server work?
>
> my second question.
> Dovecot dead but subsys locked
>
> aft i typed: /etc/init.d/dovecot status,
> it shows:dovecot dead but subsys locked.
> I deleted /var/lock/subsys/dovecot. but whn i start my
> dovecot,etc/init.d/dovecot start, same problem occur again....how to
> solve ths???
> below is frm /var/log/maillog :
> Mar 19 15:17:28 hosting sendmail[3617]: m2J1EtMP003319:
> to=<root at localhost.localdomain>, ctladdr=<root at localhost.localdomain>
> (0/0), delay=06:02:32, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=665894,
> dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: local mailer (/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver)
> exited with EX_TEMPFAIL

What version of Dovecot are you using?  Have you read through
http://wiki.dovecot.org/WhyDoesItNotWork ?

> i am new in this. anyone can help??? appreciate ur reply....

I don't know this 'subsys locked' thing printed by your init script.  Have
you tried doing '/etc/init.d/dovecot restart'?

And do check out the dovecot.org page I just linked.

-- Asheesh.

--
Emotions are alien to me.  I'm a scientist.
 		-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3