[Dovecot] Dovecot and kmail IMAP resources

Tue Mar 25 11:42:51 EET 2008

On 3/24/2008 3:54 PM, mouss wrote:
> Charles Marcus wrote:
>> On 3/24/2008, Bill Cole (dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com) wrote:
>>> FWIW, I don't use KMail, but every contact I've had as a mail admin
>>> with people trying to do so has persuaded me that it is not yet ready
>>> for serious use. On this list you are about the third person in the
>>> past year to seek help here with some KMail-specific problem that
>>> doesn't seem possible unless KMail itself is fundamentally broken,
>>> and implies that the software is horrendously documented.

>> I have read numerous stories of IMAP problems with KMail...

> We've read numerous stories about outlook, thunderbird, netscape, ...
> and even about imap itself.

Outlook, absolutely - netscape, sure... but it certainly is *not*
justified to just lump TBird in with Outlook like that.

I'm not saying TBird is perfect - far from it, it has some things that
really bug me - but the *only* IMAP specific problem we have seen in our
office of 60+ users of Thunderbird - been using it since 0.9, IMAP only
access - is the annoying problem of 'Save to Sent' failing, but it
is/was only a very occasional issue, and simply restarting Thunderbird
fixes it (I haven't seen that or had any complaints about that in quite
some time).

> Last time I tried kmail, it didn't have the old problems that used to
> annoy me. I don't use it regularly though.

I've actually been looking forward to the Windows Port of KDE just to
try out kde-pim - yes I still use Windows for my primary workstation...
I'm not a dev, and it 'just works' for me, but my next OS 'upgrade' will
definitely be a *nix box - probably PC-BSD...

--

Best regards,

Charles