[Dovecot] xexec and dovecot 1.1

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Thu Mar 27 20:32:40 EET 2008

Ed W wrote:

>>> For the 'Copy to Sent' function... if you sent a message somehow
>>> using the IMAP connection, maybe you could save the Client having to
>>> upload the same message AGAIN just to copy it to the Sent folder
>>> (think 10MB email sent over a 512Kb connection)...
>>
>> No need for a new extension, it's easier to make your MTA deliver a
>> copy of outgoing mail to the 'Sent' folder for those users that want it.
>>

> OK, I'm game.  Design this for me assuming Postfix + Dovecot.  Lets
> assume they are on different servers  just to examine the more general
> situation.  We can probably assume an authenticated sasl connection or
> else it becomes fairly intractable, but we have to assume that
> customers can choose their FROM address (for many setups the incoming
> connection might be both unauthenticated AND have random (even forged)
> FROM addresses...)
>
> So what should the config look like?
>
> Ed

Assuming you are talking about my idea that IMAP have an outgoing mail
extension and copies the outgoing message to the sent folder.

After dovecot receives he outgoing message it will just do an SMTP
connection to a server that is set up to receive it and relay it.

smtpserver = 1.2.3.4
copyfolder = sent

Is this what you are asking?