[Dovecot] Timeout when using icedove's searching on a large amount of email.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon May 5 22:13:49 EEST 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 9:50 PM, guillaume.yziquel at free.fr wrote:

> Hello list.
>
> I'm using dovecot as a local server, where I'm the only user (or
> so), and I
> appreciate using icedove searching functionality to roam through the
> whole inbox
> in search of some specific string in the body of my emails.
>
> Unfortunately, recently, such a search has become impossible, since
> the search
> takes too much time, and the connection times out.
>
> I've looked throughout the .conf file and the documentation, but I
> haven't found
> where I could increase the delay until timeout. If someone knew the
> right option
> in the .conf file, it would be really great...

It's Icedove that decides to timeout the connection. I don't know if
you can change it.

With Dovecot v1.1 you could use full text search plugin and searches
would be fast. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/FTS

Although Dovecot could probably avoid this timeout by sending
something to client every 30 seconds or so that "search is n% done".
With FTS plugin enabled it's already doing that when indexing. I'll
add in my TODO..