[Dovecot] VMware and Time moved backwards

Robert Henjes henjes at informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
Wed May 21 23:20:18 EEST 2008

Thank you for the prompt answers

@Luuk Vosslamber

>finding correct values for the following entrys in your vmware(host)
>config file might solve some things:
>host.cpukHz = 1596000  <== depends on processor speed ;-)
>host.noTSC = TRUE
>ptsc.noTSC = TRUE
>hostinfo.noTSC = TRUE
>tools.syntime = TRUE
>
>Above values go with the presumption that the host CPU is running at a
>fixed frequency. The variable frequency seems to be the origin of this
>problem..

We tried your parameters already, but they are not an option, unless you
have the following
a) machine smp disabled (enabled in our case)
b) other machines on the host system have really low load
c) vmware tools should not be missing on guest

@Peter Hessler

>never ever ever run ntp on virtual hardware.
>
>instead, run ntp on the host hardware, and tell the client to always obey
the bios clock.  I add "* * * * * /sbin/hwclock --localtime -->hctosys"
>to my crontab for that.

Thank you very much Peter, this hint opens up a bunch of new possibilities
only mentioning "adjtimex" ...

BUT: And this brings me back to, why I posted this issue to the dovecot
mailinglist and not elsewhere:
All these guest based solutions lead to a fixed time movement (we used
previously ntpdate -u every 7 minutes, ntp itself synchronizes every 11
minutes with the hardware clock for calculating drifts), which happens about
once per week, that the time movement backward is larger than 11 seconds
between two dovecot imap operations, which leads to an immediate shutdown of
the dovecot process. All other services on these machine can cope with this.

So the question is how to get these adjustments smooth or close to realtime.

Best regards,
Robert

Btw.: We are running Dovecot 1.0.13 from Debian etch-backports (which is an
important information since debian seems to have its own rules ;) )