[Dovecot] no bookeeping using public folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu May 29 17:23:04 EEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 10:21 +0200, Claude Frantz wrote:
> The strange behaviour seems to be probably related to Thunderbird. When
> opening the connection to the public shared folder, Thunderbird shows
> the number of ALL messages in the folder, in the window in which one the
> folders related to the accounts are displayed. Usually only the number
> of unread messages is displayed here. In the window showing the subject,
> sender, etc... of the messages, only the unread messages are displayed
> when using the options "View, Threads, Unread". Therefore, Thunderbird
> knowns about what has been read. But I ignore if Thunderbird is using an
> own bookkeeping or if this information comes from the server.

I don't really know about Thunderbird. You could always verify these
things by talking IMAP protocol directly:

1 login user pass
2 status mailbox (messages unseen recent)

> In the related "dovecot-keywords" file, there is only one line which
> contains "0 unknown-0". This seems strange to me.

Does each user have their own control directory? If so that explains it.
The control directory should probably be shared (as long as there are
enough write permissions for everyone to be able to update/replace
dovecot-uidlist). dovecot-shared file can be used to affect created
files' group/permissions (chgrp mailshared dovecot-shared, chmod 0660
dovecot-shared).

Anyway the unknown-0 means that Dovecot found "a" flag from maildir
filenames (the flags/keywords are stored in filenames), but it didn't
exist in dovecot-keywords file, so it added it. So it's not really
possible to use keywords without sharing control directory.

> Please explain me, where the "private seen flag" is located. I think, it
> cannot be in "dovecot-uidlist" because the second entry in every line is
> the filename in the folder where the message file is located, and the
> "only reading" user is not the owner of this file. Are I'm right ?

Private seen flags are stored only in index files.