[Dovecot] DELE before QUIT

Geert Hendrickx ghen at telenet.be
Tue Dec 8 18:02:13 EET 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 10:53:01AM -0500, Davy Leon wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks for the reply. Definitelly IMAP is not a solution for me. All
> the emails for my user's domain are stored in a single account on my
> ISP. I have to fetch them and distribute them locally. In every
> fetch there are several emails and every time the link fails I have
> to start over again for the forst message wich I already downloaded.
> Tha's a problem. Any other solution?

It's a problem of your POP client (although most clients work like this).
According to the POP3 spec, an entire session is essentially a single
transaction.  So a client that downloaded 3 mails before the connection
breaks down (even if it issued DELE), shouldn't store those messages but
discard them, and download them again in the next session.

A (ugly) workaround for flaky network connections is to setup a new session
after every RETR/DELE pair.  Beyond that, it's really a protocol problem...

	Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen at telenet.be  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F