[Dovecot] Openbsd Postfix-Dovecot-SASL

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Tue Dec 22 18:07:06 EET 2009

On 12/22/2009 04:37 PM thekat wrote:
>> The user can read their email but has to "send" via the local ISP server..
>
> The problem
> After much searching I have not found an answer to my question.
> I would like the user to authenticate to be able to "send" email "through"
> the server..
> OpenBSD uses bsdauth by default in Dovecot.
> After reading the Postfix
> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html
> and the Dovecot Wiki
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL
>
> I have tried multiple configurations but I can't seem to get this to work..
> It may be something very simple that I am missing..
>
> All users on the Server have accounts in /etc/passwd (just no shell)
>
> Postfix - main.cf
> mailbox_command = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver
> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
> smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
> smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =  permit_mynetworks,
>     permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination
>
> dovecot --version
> 1.1.16
>
> dovecot -n
>>   socket:
>     type: listen
>     client:
>       path: /var/run/auth-client
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>       mode: 432
>       user: _postfix
>     master:
>       path: /var/run/auth-master
>       mode: 384
>       user: _postfix

Check your logs. I think Postfix should have logged something, because
it was unable to find $(postconf -h queue_directory)/private/auth
Please read http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL again.
Then check path setting of the client auth socket.

Regards,
Pascal
The trapper recommends today: fabaceae.0935616 at localdomain.org