[Dovecot] ACL plugin when file in Maildir is not a directory

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Fri Feb 13 13:55:09 EET 2009

Hello Timo,

On a production (by that I mean many users) dovecot-1.1.8/Maidir server where
ACL plugin has been enabled, I ran on a log verbosity problem :

For some reason (in fact, due to mbox -> Maildir migration script), some people
have in their Maildir a .procmail.logfile file.

The problem is that dovecot (or the ACL plugin) wants to find a dovecot-acl
file in what it would like to be a directory, and then complains :

  dovecot: IMAP(xxxxxxxx): open(/courriel/boites/xxxxxxxx/.procmail.logfile/dovecot-acl) failed: Not a directory

Such a behavior makes the log file grow too much too quickly.

Note that my setup regarding log verbosity is at its minimal/default (except for
proctitle) :

  verbose_ssl = no
  verbose_proctitle = yes
  auth_verbose = no
  mail_debug = no
  auth_debug = no
  auth_debug_passwords = no

One more thing : would I have a log (or in what verbosity setup would I have
one) line complaining about no-acl in the system wide acl directory :

  acl = vfile:/opt/dovecot/dovecot-acls:cache_secs=300

as a matter of fact, /opt/dovecot/dovecot-acls is empty for me (I don't need it
for now).

thanks

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur