[Dovecot] Can't connect to auth server

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon May 4 15:36:28 EEST 2009

I'm trying to phase out procmail and move to dovecot-sieve instead. It
ain't proving easy. I'll describe my setup:

- Centos 5.2 box with dovecot 1.1.4 and dovecot-sieve 1.1.6 from ATrpms.

- A single user account is used to store all our email (the account is
called maildb).

- Getmail is being used to fetch the email from various ISP mailboxes.
I want to deliver mail to different folders in maildb's Maildir/
depending on who the email is addressed to (the procmail recipes
currently do that).

- Getmail destination section looks like this:
     [destination]
     type = MDA_external
     path = /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver
     arguments = ("-d", "maildb")
     allow_root_commands = true

- When I run getmail I get this error in dovecot.log:
deliver(maildb): May 04 22:15:26 Error: Can't connect to auth server
at /var/run/dovecot/auth-master: No such file or directory

It's true that I don't have a file called auth-master. I guess I
should have but until I started this dovecot-sieve work it was never a
problem. I have no idea what that file should look like. As I
installed from binary RPMs I would have thought one would have come
with the install.

Can anyone help?

Regards,
Phill