[Dovecot] mailutil?

Phillip Macey phillip.macey at cisra.canon.com.au
Fri May 8 10:07:13 EEST 2009

On 24/03/2009 11:25 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> dbox format needs at least two tools:
>
> 1. Expunging only marks the message having refcount=0. The actual disk
> space is freed only after calling a tool pointing to the user's dbox
> dir.
>
> 2. Ability to force index resync/rebuild in case it doesn't figure out
> itself that there's something wrong.
>
> I'm starting to think about building a more generic mailutil tool, maybe
> something similar to what UW-IMAP has. So two questions:
>
>  - What should the tool be called? Probably not mailutil to avoid
> confusion. doveutil? dovemail? dovetool? mailtool?
>
>  - Is there any functionality you'd like it to do?

Did anything like this end up being implemented? We are in the middle of
migrating a bunch of people from local storage (pop) to server side
storage using imap. It would be really useful to be able to tell dovecot
to index a particular maildir after we have copied it onto the server to
save our users opening up their shiny new mail client and clicking on
all their folders and loading up the server indexing a hundred maildirs
at once.

--
Thanks,
  Phill Macey (CiSRA IT Services)