[Dovecot] Dovecot not accepting connections

Jim Jim at themailshack.com
Mon May 11 03:50:46 EEST 2009

On Mar 29, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:

> On 3/28/2009 10:07 PM, Jim wrote:
>> mail-web-server:~ wright$ telnet localhost 143
>> Trying ::1...
>> telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
>> Trying fe80::1...
>> telnet: connect to address fe80::1: Connection refused
>> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>> Connected to localhost.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> * OK Dovecot ready.
>
> Firewall issue? Or maybe one of the 'secure' options like SELinux?

Just wrapping up this thread, it was a firewall issue after all,
unbeknownst to me, the mail server box itself had a firewall running,
separate from the main firewall box protecting my LAN.  For some
reason at boot time the local firewall was blocking connections to
dovecot, but after restarting dovecot, all was well. I've shut down
the firewall on the local box, which should prevent this from
happening again in the future.

Jim