[Dovecot] Migration questions...

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue May 12 18:57:50 EEST 2009

Richard Hobbs wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are soon to migrate our mail server from one piece of hardware to
> another and we would like to take this opportunity to optimize things.

Can I recommend you add virtualisation to your todo list.  I use
linux-vserver, but there are plenty other ideas out there.

It's just superb that later on you can migrate services between physical
hardware with MUCH less hassle.  You can easily test upgrades in a
sandbox first. etc

I personally split all the tasks into different virtual servers.  Right
now I actually still have quite a few mail related services in a single
vserver, but ideally you would split everything up and then later if you
needed to upgrade a single service or move it to a new machine it would
have minimal effect.

Your general process sounds about right though - I think it may be
possible for you to preserve pop uidls, but see the wiki for more notes
on that

Good luck

Ed W