[Dovecot] Migration questions...

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu May 14 10:22:46 EEST 2009

Richard Hobbs wrote:

> That's also good to know... i like to do a job right instead of relying
> on faster hardware, as i'm sure you all do too, but it's good to know
> that if i make one or two "non-optimal" choices along the way, it'll
> probably be lightning fast anyway!
>
> The main complaint we have from users is that their IMAP Inbox, with
> 5000 emails in it takes ages to appear, and no amount of coaxing will
> convince them to split their inbox into multiple folders.

Most of my mailing list folders that I work with on a daily basis like
NANOG (over 20,000) and cisco-nsp (over 35,000) are no slower than
folders with a handful of messages in them. It's not a private server
either, it's the same one my customers use. If you're seeing a slowdown
at 5k messages, either your server is woefully underpowered or something
isn't quite right.

~Seth