[Dovecot] ext3/ext4 performance issue

Matthijs Kooijman matthijs at stdin.nl
Mon May 18 18:46:57 EEST 2009

Hi Scott,

> One could always run the mailstore on LVM and then you could snapshot the
> mount and then fsck it while still technically in use. It would probably slow
> down the filesystem, but it is still live.
Uhm, and then you have a nice and fsck'd snapshot, but your live filesystem
will still be untouched? Or do you propose replacing the mailstore with a
(readonly?) versioned mounted from the lvm snapshot? I'm not aware of anything
that can swap filesystems like this online (ie, with files open) and that
would also mean that while fsck'ing, you can only read mail, not receive, move
or delete mail?

Gr.

Matthijs