[Dovecot] POP3 with lot of messages

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed May 20 05:00:00 EEST 2009

On May 19, 2009, at 8:51 AM, Matt wrote:

> Running Dovecot 1.1.8.  Have several email accounts with thousands of
> messages in them that are left on server.  Is there anyway to speed
> up POP3
> access without switching to IMAP?  Doubt it but thought I would ask.

Is it slow on the local machine?  Use a pop client on the local
machine, command line probably more ideal, and see if it is slow.   If
it is not, then you know you are network bound.

If it is still slow, then it cold be drive speed bound, and a faster
drive would help.  Maybe you can move the files to a faster drive as a
test.

Keep an eye on CPU usage as well, though I doubt that would be the case.

In my limited tests, with 1000+ messages in a POP mailbox in Dovecot,
it was pulling them in as fast as I could ever imagine them.  I
certainly felt it was more network bound than the software slowing it
down.

I would do some tests, to see if you can find out where the bottleneck
really is.