[Dovecot] RFC 3501 section 7

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed May 27 22:27:57 EEST 2009

Hello, been lurking a while, about to move over to Dovecot soon.  I
have a nice test machine up and running.  My previous email server
when talking IMAP to Apple Mail, will eventually go "deaf" and new
messages will not make it to the Inbox of Apple Mail Client.  A
restart of the desktop application is required.

I am told that the reason for this is that my current email server
adheres to RFC 3501, specifically section 7, the second paragraph of
which says:
    The client MUST be prepared to accept any response at all times.

Apparently, Apple Mail is not adhering to that, and my email server is
sending out that type of response.  However, I look at this list, for
which I am not entirely sure how accurate the actual test is:
	http://www.imapwiki.org/ImapTest/ServerStatus

It lists Dovecot as one of only two that are fully compliant IMAP
servers.  Congrats on that.

My questions are:
Does Dovecot in fact support correctly the above mentioned RFC and
subsection?  I assume so.  That being the case, I have not had issues
in my testing of Dovecot, nor heard reports of Apple Mail and IMAP
having any significant problems.

How, if that is the case, can Apple Mail and Dovecot work well with
each other, and my current email server is not able to?

My primary reason for moving to Dovecot is to not be burdened by this
issue, as well as have what I consider to be a more advanced storage
mechanism for the actual messages.  What I would like to avoid, is
spending a lot of time migrating thousands of users to a new system,
to only have them burdened by the same inability to have email come to
them without an application relaunch.

Thank you for any insight on this.

* I have filed a bug report with Apple, which was accepted.  Their
system does not allow me to see the status on the report once it has
been closed.