[Dovecot] Users with large (4GB) inboxes crippling dovecot

robforrest rob at tmsuk.biz
Thu May 28 12:07:01 EEST 2009

Hi all,

I'm new here and would very much appreciate any help you can give me.

We are running a rather outdated mail server that until recently has been
running beautifully.  Under the pretense of "it is ain't broke, don't fix
it" it hasn't been updated so is running Fedora Core 4 and dovecot v0.99.14.

What is happening is that as users log in (via thunderbird), they are shown
the contents of their mailboxes.  However, when they try and access a given
email, they get no response even if they wait upwards of 10 minutes.  I
believe that the problem has arisen from their huge inboxes, several users
have inboxes in excess of 4GB.

Do any of you know how I could split these large mbox files down in to
manageable chunks of 1GB?

Please be aware that I only have remote access to the server over a modest
internet connection.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Rob