[Dovecot] Users with large (4GB) inboxes crippling dovecot

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu May 28 19:24:49 EEST 2009

on 5-28-2009 2:07 AM robforrest spake the following:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new here and would very much appreciate any help you can give me.
>
> We are running a rather outdated mail server that until recently has been
> running beautifully.  Under the pretense of "it is ain't broke, don't fix
> it" it hasn't been updated so is running Fedora Core 4 and dovecot v0.99.14.

It's broke, you need to fix it. This system is an accident waiting to happen
(or a bot waiting to be owned).

> What is happening is that as users log in (via thunderbird), they are shown
> the contents of their mailboxes.  However, when they try and access a given
> email, they get no response even if they wait upwards of 10 minutes.  I
> believe that the problem has arisen from their huge inboxes, several users
> have inboxes in excess of 4GB.
>
> Do any of you know how I could split these large mbox files down in to
> manageable chunks of 1GB?
>
> Please be aware that I only have remote access to the server over a modest
> internet connection.
>
> Thanks again for any suggestions.
>
> Rob
Why not try a current version of dovecot. 1.0 would help a lot, and 1.1 would
be even better. 0.99.14 has been improved so much, you are just not going to
fix it easily.

You can get more current rpms of dovecot from atrpms.net, but you might have
to either try a RHEL4 version (loosely based on Core 3) or rebuild a src rpm
on a core 4 machine. That is one of the problems with running core on a
server. If you let it get too far out of service, you have more trouble
updating it.