[Dovecot] Users with large (4GB) inboxes crippling dovecot

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu May 28 20:39:41 EEST 2009

on 5-28-2009 9:36 AM Timo Sirainen spake the following:
> On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 02:07 -0700, robforrest wrote:
>> What is happening is that as users log in (via thunderbird), they are shown
>> the contents of their mailboxes.  However, when they try and access a given
>> email, they get no response even if they wait upwards of 10 minutes.  I
>> believe that the problem has arisen from their huge inboxes, several users
>> have inboxes in excess of 4GB.
>
> mbox_very_dirty_syncs = yes would probably make these mailboxes usable
> without having to split anything or convert to Maildir. That requires
> Dovecot v1.0+ of course.

The indexing improvements in 1.0 would probably help a lot also. I have
several large mboxes and also some gzipped log storage boxes and 1.1 is fairly
speedy with them. A full re-index in thunderbird takes right at a minute with
a 6gb gzipped box I just tested.