[Dovecot] recipient delimiter and lmtp

Fri May 29 22:35:17 EEST 2009

On 5/29/2009 3:22 PM, Stephan Bosch wrote:
>>> I was wondering whether it will handle
>>> recipient delimiters. ie will it be able to map
>>> user+foo at example.com to user at example.com?
>>> I'm not interested in the delivery into folder stuff,
>>> just the plain delivery to inbox.

>> Hmm. Stephan, you currently have sieve_subaddress_sep setting. Should we
>> instead use a common setting here? Like:
>>
>> protocol lda {
>>   recipient_delimiter = +
>> }
>>
>> With v1.2 it probably wouldn't do anything, but with v2.0 LMTP could use
>> it.

> Sounds sensible. I can for instance make the plugin use this setting if
> sieve_subaddress_sep is not set.

How hard would it be to allow the use of more than one delimiter?
Obviously this would have to be well documented, explaining the
pitfalls, and sysadmins would have to make sure that that character was
illegal when it came to creating the actual accounts...

Also, Google has a very interesting ability to ignore dots (periods) in
the local part of the address, so you can essentially create 'unique'
addresses on the fly by simply inserting a period anywhere into the
local part, that can then be filtered on at delivery time...

--

Best regards,

Charles