[Dovecot] I can acces my pop3 account but I can't send an email trough smtp

Ricky Tompu Breaky ricky.breaky at uni.de
Thu Oct 1 01:07:08 EEST 2009

Dear my friends....

I use OpenSuSE 11.1, KMail and DoveCot version:
"
sussy:/etc/ssl/certs # dovecot --version
1.1.7
".

This is the configuration of my DoveCot:
"
sussy:/etc/ssl/certs # dovecot -n
# 1.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.27.29-0.1-default i686 openSUSE 11.1 (i586)
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log
protocols: imap imaps pop3
listen(default): *
listen(imap): *
listen(pop3): *:110
ssl_disable: yes
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot//login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
login_greeting: Dovecot of MyGoogle.Com ready.
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
auth default:
  debug_passwords: yes
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
".

I have created local linux user account on my Postfix+DoveCot server. I
also can access the content of my mailbox from my KMail. I am so happy
but once I try to send email (testing the smtp) than I realize that I
can't send an email from my email client (KMail).

I use this setting on my email client:
1. 'incoming mailserver' == 'outgoing mailserver' ==
'mail.mygoogle.com' (pseudonome). Also username and password are all the
same between incoming/outgoing mailserver, namely the local userlogin of
LINUX. As the username, I put 'ricky' (but not 'ricky at mygoogle.com').
2. smtp authentication: No encryption and plaintext.

The error message on my KMail is:
"
Sending failed:
Your SMTP server does not support The server responded: "5.7.8 Error:
authentication failed: generic failure". Choose a different
authentication method. The server responded: "5.7.8 Error:
authentication failed: generic failure" The message will stay in the
'outbox' folder until you either fix the problem (e.g. a broken
address) or remove the message from the 'outbox' folder. The following
transport was used: mygoogle.com Do you want me to continue sending
the remaining messages?
"

and also:
"
Sending failed:
Your SMTP server does not support The server responded: "5.7.8 Error:
authentication failed: generic failure". Choose a different
authentication method. The server responded: "5.7.8 Error:
authentication failed: generic failure" The message will stay in the
'outbox' folder until you either fix the problem (e.g. a broken
address) or remove the message from the 'outbox' folder. The following
transport was used: mygoogle.com
".

I'm stucked again. Please help me. Tell me where my mistake.

Thank you very much in advance.