[Dovecot] pop3-login: Fatal: io_loop_handle_add: epoll_ctl(1, 5):

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 1 17:33:18 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen wrote:

>On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 20:23 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Sep 22 19:07:15 sbh16 dovecot: pop3-login: Fatal: io_loop_handle_add:
>> epoll_ctl(1, 5): Operation not permitted
>
>Has this happened to you again? Do you run expire-tool or some other
>dovecot --exec-mail command? Or was there anything else run in cron just
>before the first of the above errors happened?

Hi Timo,

No, this hasn't happened again. It is dovecot 2.1.5 with no extra
plugins. I don't run any dovecot related crons. The only crons that
ran just before it happened were unrelated

rotate two unrelated logs 23 minutes before
download and update some spamassassin rules 12 minutes before
update Mailman archive search indices 9 minutes before

All these run daily.

The problem occurred after upgrading from 2.1.4 to 2.1.5. 2.1.4 had
been running for weeks with no problem. The problem started with 2.1.5
when it had been running about 6 days and 20 hours. and continued
until I restarted dovecot a day and a half later.

There was a power outage at the server last Friday night when Dovecot
had been running only 4 days since the last restart, so at this point,
Dovecot has been running continuously for 5 days and 6 hours, so the
problem may or may not recur within the next few days.

My dovecot -n is at
<http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2009-September/042943.html>, and
some more detail from my maillog is at
<http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2009-September/042959.html>.