[Dovecot] pop3-login: Fatal: io_loop_handle_add: epoll_ctl(1, 5):

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 1 18:13:06 EEST 2009

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>
>>On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 20:23 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>> Sep 22 19:07:15 sbh16 dovecot: pop3-login: Fatal: io_loop_handle_add:
>>> epoll_ctl(1, 5): Operation not permitted
>>
>>Has this happened to you again? Do you run expire-tool or some other
>>dovecot --exec-mail command? Or was there anything else run in cron just
>>before the first of the above errors happened?
>

>Hi Timo,
>
>No, this hasn't happened again. It is dovecot 2.1.5 with no extra
>plugins. I don't run any dovecot related crons. The only crons that
>ran just before it happened were unrelated
>
>rotate two unrelated logs 23 minutes before
>download and update some spamassassin rules 12 minutes before
>update Mailman archive search indices 9 minutes before
>
>All these run daily.
>
>The problem occurred after upgrading from 2.1.4 to 2.1.5. 2.1.4 had
>been running for weeks with no problem. The problem started with 2.1.5
>when it had been running about 6 days and 20 hours. and continued
>until I restarted dovecot a day and a half later.
>
>There was a power outage at the server last Friday night when Dovecot
>had been running only 4 days since the last restart, so at this point,
>Dovecot has been running continuously for 5 days and 6 hours, so the
>problem may or may not recur within the next few days.
>
>My dovecot -n is at
><http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2009-September/042943.html>, and
>some more detail from my maillog is at
><http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2009-September/042959.html>.

Also, FYI, I do not have the
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/0f04c7da33f1 patch installed.

I do have the patch installed to log the fd for this error, but I don't
have the fix http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.2/rev/401e023c8c29 for
the logging function installed.

Would you prefer that I just let Dovecot run a few days and see if the
problem recurs, or should I install the logging function fix now and
perhaps wait another 7 or 8 days before there may be another failure.

Also, as far as I know, the only dovecot processes running at the time
of the failure were a single master and it's auth and pop3 and imap
login children.