[Dovecot] Mailbox locking problem with iphone and POP3

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 2 23:35:45 EEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 18:08 -0700, Mark Hedges wrote:
> This is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem.
>
> pop3_lock_session=no
>
> The iphone checks mail, and disconnects uncleanly.  Then
> there is a delivery attempt.  I have procmail logging on,
> and procmail sits there trying to lock the spool file until
> the timeout is reached and it overrides the lock.

Are you using mbox or maildir? With mbox I guess this is more or less
expected. The solutions I can think of:

a) Switch to maildir.

b) Shrink pop3 idle timeout from 10 minutes to one minute or so.
CLIENT_IDLE_TIMEOUT_MSECS in src/pop3/client.c

c) Implement some kind of unlocking feature so Dovecot unlocks mbox file
after client has been idling for a few seconds. Seems to me like that
would be too much trouble to be worth it.