[Dovecot] dovecot 1.0.15 upgrading to dovecot 1.1.x or 1.2.x, and POP3 UIDL issue

Ariel Biener ariel at aristo.tau.ac.il
Mon Oct 5 03:03:36 EEST 2009

Hi,

   We're upgrading a cluster of servers from v1.0.15 to
v1.1.x or v1.2.x. It appears that the UIDL generation mechanism
has changed, and thus we'll be getting POP3 dups with users
that leave mail on server (which is a nasty practice, I know).

   From checking the sources, and performing a number of controlled
tests in various scenarios, here is the outcome:

upgrade from 1.0.15 to 1.1.x (latest), UIDLs change
(no change to the mail backend, that is, mbox)

However, the interesting part is that if for example
I read a mailbox for the first time with the 1.1.x version,
and then I migrate the mailbox to a different server, running
1.1.x or 1.2.x, with Maildir or mailbox the UIDL does *NOT* change.
We do not have X-UIDL headers in the mailboxes.

I did every possible permutation of these tests. It appears that
the way UIDLs are created in 1.0.x is different than what is used
in 1.1.x and 1.2.x. (I am not talking about the format, we're using
the same format in both, that is, UW compatible).

Since we're a largish site (university), and we have some >60k accounts,
even the smallest percentage of users who use POP3 and "leave mail on
server" is a large number of angry staff members landing on our
helpdesk, which is the reason why we're not migrating.

Has anyone ever ported the UIDL generation algorithm from 1.0.x to
1.1.x/1.2.x to maintain compatibility ?  Is there some other option
that I am missing ?

--Ariel