[Dovecot] "Time just moved backwards" in Dovecot in a Xen DomU

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 6 02:02:22 EEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 18:54 -0700, PGNet Dev wrote:
> i'm running Dovecot in a Xen DomU,
..
> @ my Dom0,
>
> 	ps ax | grep ntp\.conf
> 		 5696 ?        Ss     1:05 /usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntp/ntpd.pid
> -g -u ntp:ntp -i /var/lib/ntp -c /etc/ntp.conf

And no ntpd in your DomU?

> not clear to me as to what/where the problem actually is.  i've not
> seen an other dameons report any time issues; of course, i'm not sure
> they're _checking_ :-/

I'm not aware of any other daemon that explicitly checks and complains
about it. They might randomly break though. :)

> any suggestions as to what/how to fix?

If no one here can give you a good answer, I'd try some Xen mailing
list. I'm sure a lot of people are running Dovecot in Xen without time
problems. If you do find out the problem, please let us know also.