[Dovecot] Debugging IMAP ACLs

Kerem Erciyes kerem.erciyes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 17:04:10 EEST 2009

Hi Timo,

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2009, at 7:24 AM, Kerem Erciyes wrote:
>
>  mail_location: mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/usr/home/vmail/%d/%u
>>

> I don't think I've ever tried shared mailboxes with mbox format before, no
> idea if it even works..

Is there any way to trace ACL commands isssued by the client? Or should they
pop up in debug log if ACLs are active?

I tried via telnet to issue imap acl commands and all I could get to work
was NAMESPACE command. I think you are right, and ACLs are not supported
with mbox, or there is something wrong with my setup. Yet I can see the
namespace defined in the configuration via NAMESPACE command.

telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Kupyazilim IMAPS/POP3S Server - Dovecot
ready.

a05 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT
THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE
UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES
WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH QUOTA STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN
a05 OK Capability completed.

a08 login "*****" "*****"
a08 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT
THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE
UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES
WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH QUOTA] Logged in

a09 MYRIGHTS
a09 BAD Error in IMAP command MYRIGHTS: Unknown command.

a10 GETACL "INBOX"
a10 BAD Error in IMAP command GETACL: Unknown command.

a11 SETACL Inbox "proje@*******.com" +s
a11 BAD Error in IMAP command SETACL: Unknown command.

a13 NAMESPACE
* NAMESPACE (("" "/")) (("shared/" "/")) NIL
a13 OK Namespace completed.

>  namespace:
>>  type: shared
>>  separator: /
>>  prefix: shared/%%u/
>>  location: mbox:/usr/home/vmail/%d/%u:INDEX=/usr/home/vmail/shared/%%u
>>

> This doesn't really look right. Should probably be more like:
>
> location =
> mbox:%%h/mail:INBOX=/usr/home/vmail/%%d/%%u:INDEX=/usr/home/vmail/shared/%%u

Sorry, my bad at 3:00 AM. It is fixed now.

--
Kerem Erciyes
Sistem Danismani

kerem.erciyes at gmail.com