[Dovecot] backup using rsync

Scott Murman dovecot at segosha.net
Wed Oct 7 18:22:58 EEST 2009

>> source is a debian build, share is a readynas.   i've been getting
>> rsync: mkstemp 'filename goes here' failed: Not a directory (20)
>> errors.   rsync is v3.0.   i believe this is related to the dovecot
>> file
>> naming convention that includes characters such as ':' in the
>> filename.   anyone else seeing similar behavior?  a workaround?   i
>> can
>> go to different backup strategies, but rsync is cheap and effective
>> for
>> my needs.  thanks,
>
> The problem I encountered with cifs is that could not be compatible
> with unix
> permissions and sometimes also fails setting directory date/time
>
> When I backup on cifs either I use rsync and disable those features
> or I
> tar-gzip each mailbox and copy it.

thanks for the feedback.  i see the same problems w/ cifs.   scripting
this is turning out to be slightly more subtle than i thought.
various combinations of rsync --delete, rsync --dry-run, tar, etc.
_may_ be viable.   unfortunately it looks like cifs also barks at some
of the unix tar permissions, so i may turn the whole process around
and run it from the rsync server on the NAS, though that also has
issues.

-SM-