[Dovecot] status & use-case of fts_solr?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 9 05:56:10 EEST 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 10:51 PM, PGNet Dev wrote:

> as of dovecot v1.1.2, squat's required for IMAP compliance; solr
> search breaks it.  is that still the case in v1.2?  Is IMAP-compliant
> Solr search possible? planned?

It's just not possible, because it doesn't support substring searches.
But then again, perhaps no one cares. It's not like gmail's search is
IMAP compliant either.

> if the goal is fast, indexed FTS of dovecot IMAP stores from within a
> MUA, is fts_solr even helpful? or is it targeted for web interfaces to
> search ... ?

You can add the break-imap-search option and it'll be helpful with
those MUAs that use IMAP SEARCH command (Thunderbird I think, but not
Apple Mail or Outlook).